Dear Colorado Dealer:
If you think summer is just about vacations and down time, you don’t know the Colorado Automobile Dealers Association! It is operating in high gear – working on seminars, events and getting our message – present and future – heard throughout the state.
Our Next Gen Dealer Group’s second event – nicknamed “Taking Orbit” – is planned for August 20th. This group had a successful kickoff event June 3rd at the Vehicle Vault in Parker. The next meeting is from 5-8 p.m. at the Forney Museum of Transportation, 4303 Brighton Blvd. in Denver’s trendy River North District. The Forney Museum has an amazing collection of antique cars, trains, horse-drawn carriages and other transportation artifacts.
One of CADA’s key missions and member benefit is to offer education for members and their employees. Several informative and helpful educational seminars are scheduled in August:
- Legal Compliance for the Service Department and Managing Safety through Good Hiring Practices (for service managers and directors, fixed-ops manager, dealer principals and general managers):
- August 11th, Noon-2:30 p.m. @ CADA Headquarters, Denver
- August 25th, 7:30-10 a.m. @ DoubleTree, Durango
- August 26th, 7:30-10 a.m. @ Courtyard by Marriott, Grand Junction
- Colorado D&H and Federal Advertising Enforcement (for dealer principals, GMs, GSMs, sales managers, new and used car managers, controllers, advertising agencies, marketing managers and consultants):
- August 25th, Noon-2 p.m. @ DoubleTree, Durango
- August 26th, Noon-2 p.m. @ Courtyard by Marriott, Grand Junction
Registration fee is $149 (1st attendee) or $129 (2nd and others from same dealership or group). To register, go to the CADA website or email SeminarRSVP@coloradodealers.org . For more information you can contact Trainor Walsh, CADA Communications and Marketing Director at email@example.com or by calling directly at 303.457.5115.
The itinerary for the 2015 CADA Project DC trip, held in conjunction with NADA’s Washington Conference in September, is almost complete. For the last few years, the CADA Board and Next Gen Dealers have attended the NADA meeting and benefited from the opportunity to really get to know our Colorado Congressional delegation. This year’s Washington DC-bound contingency will leave Denver on Sunday, Sept. 27th and return Thursday, Oct. 1st. In addition to the “working” parts of the trip, plenty of social and networking opportunities are planned.
Do you know a Colorado dealer who should be recognized and honored? Nomination forms for this year’s “TIME Dealer of the Year” will be distributed soon, and we hope you will make every effort to nominate a dealer who really exemplifies the best in our industry. This marks the 47th year the national award has been given. The national winner is selected from those nominated at the state level and will be named at the NADA National Convention and Expo in Las Vegas next April 1st.
The criteria is pretty simple: “In addition to exhibiting exceptional performance in their dealerships, TIME Dealer of the Year nominees perform heroic community service and are strong advocates for improving the world around them.” Our 2014 Colorado nominee and Colorado Dealer of the Year certainly fit. Scott Ehrlich of Ehrlich Toyota and Scion founded College Promise, a scholarship program for Greeley students who want to continue their education at Greeley’s Aims Community College by paying their first year’s tuition. The program has helped more than 400 students since its inception in 2008 with contributions from Ehrlich, other local businesses and the Monfort Foundation.
CADA maintains good relationships with Colorado’s elected officials as well as with the local news media. Legislative Grassroots Meetings and Media Grassroots Meetings are in full force for 2015.
- CADA organized two recent meetings with Attorney General Cynthia Coffman. They included: Jeff Carlson (Glenwood Springs Ford), Todd Maul (John Elway Chevrolet), John Medved (Medved Autoplex), Anthony Banno (Stevinson Lexus of Frederick), Rob Edwards (Groove Toyota) and Tim Van Binsbergen (Mountain States Toyota)and many others. The group also included Mike Feeley (Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck) and CADA representatives Tim Jackson, Tammi McCoy, and Morgan Smith. George Billings with the Clear the Air Foundation was also in attendance.
- Early this month a meeting was held with State Rep. Jack Tate (R-Centennial).In attendance were A.J. Guanella (John Elway Chevrolet), Bill Carmichael (Summit Automotive Partners) and from CADA, Tim Jackson, Morgan Smith and George Billings with Clear the Air Foundation.
- We enjoyed a topical lunch with KMGH’s Anne Trujillo. Joining us were A.J. Guanella (John Elway Chevrolet), Ed Dobbs (Land Rover Flatirons), Tim Jackson and Morgan Smith (CADA) and George Billings (Clear the Air Foundation). We’re meeting with KCNC’s Jim Benneman soon.
- We just confirmed an August 4th meeting with Colorado’s new Secretary of State Wayne Williams, as well as the Colorado Dept. of Transportation Executive Director Shailen Bhatt. Let us know if you can participate.
Thom Buckley, Chairman
Colorado Automobile Dealers Association